Thursday, June 24, 2010

Katie Brown, Meijers and Trains


During a recent trip to Michigan to help my dear friend plan her son's birthday party, I had time to shop at Meijers. It's a grocery store with a large Walmart/Target aspect to it. I had the luxury of walking the aisles (if you know me, this truly is a luxury) and discovered an amazing line of outdoor table top and entertaining items by none other than the fabulous Katie Brown! I've been a healthy fan of Katie's for over a decade, she creates entertaining books and television programs I love, use and reference often.


(This was my first Kate Brown book, it's an excellent source of innovation.)

My friend is truly open to and supportive of my party planning ideas and business. Last year we got an inexpensive glass beverage server at a popular discount store, that shall remain nameless. It leaked before the party started and we couldn't use it to serve lemonade. I think (hope) she took it back without problem. Katie Brown has a bigger and better glass beverage server, perfect for summertime refreshments! I did not think my friend would go for it the second year in a row. To my delight the purchase was not vetoed, instead the four gallon glass beverage dispenser was a huge hit! The four year old birthday boy-- loved it, because he could serve himself when thirsty. (cute photograph to come!)



This wooden runner was the other piece I simple could not resist and know I'll use again and again. I wasn't exactly sure how and if it would tie into the *recycled train themed party, but it was an excellent accent to the food table I had covered in lime green wrapping paper.


*When throwing a kid's party or entertaining casually outside, in lieu of the inexpensive uber-thin tablecloths that look like inexpensive uber-thin tablecloths consider:

-pretty wrapping paper by the roll
-craft brown paper offers a neutral foundation
-shelf paper works well as a runner
-fabric stores are an excellent source for table inspiration.



Katie Brown has a workshop in Red Hook, Brooklyn which is very close to where I reside. I have been very curious by the discrete sign on the workshop door as I've passed it in a car, but I've been unable to obtain more information about it. Thanks to twitter, as I returned to New York, I found out her workshop is now open to the public and her merchandise is on sale. I can't wait to check it out. Who is going to come with me? Hours are: M-F 9-6pm


*Why was the party recycled trains? Because it was the guest of honor's second train party consecutively on his request, of course. After much effort to tempt him with puppies, dinosaurs and construction themed birthday parties, we (his mom and I) decided to applaud his passion and his perseverance. While we recycled some ideas that worked well last year, we introduced new trains, colors and ideas to give the party an original look.

No comments:

Post a Comment