Thursday, February 18, 2010

Behind the Scenes: Growing a Business in New York



What is it like to walk in my shoes?

It has been a crazy good week for me and I am looking forward to reviewing all I have learned, following up with those I've met and making progress on the wedding and event inquiries I have received.

Big thanks to Angela Jia Kim of Savor the Success, her network for women entrepreneurs is excellent. I have been following her vlog for some time and this week was my first chance to attend a meeting and see her in action. Not only did Deena invite me, the legal advice I got from her is going to save me money! The meeting was packed with extremely useful information, a very well spent three hours!

Lisa Zaslow of Gotham Organizers invited me to substitute at her BNI chapter. Visiting new chapters and subbing for members is always an excellent early morning opportunity to jump start my day by meeting twenty new professionals, reciting my 60 second pitch and exchanging business cards.

I had an excellent coaching call with Wendy Robinson of Aspire to Plan. She gave me practical and valuable advice, that I have already put to use.

If you are a Manhattan or Brooklyn resident who owns or hopes to own a small business one day, tap into the amazing resources the city has to offer. The workshops and classes I have been taking, to grow my business, are packed with practical information. The Science, Industry and Business Library is a great place to start.

Registering for Eventology 2010, a wedding business conference was the best winter pick me up. The speakers are giants in the industry. I am really looking forward to this professional development opportunity and to spend time with some of my favorite wedding planners.

It hasn't been all work, thought. I enjoyed a lovely afternoon tea at The London, Gordon Ramsey's Hotel. Thanks Lisa for the invitation. This upscale venue has rooms for small weddings and rehearsal dinners and a chef's table in the kitchen.

Last night, cocktails at Top of the Rock was the finale to a very full and fun week. I enjoyed food by Great Performances and music by Jason Fioto of Generation Events. If you haven't been to the Top, the views of the city are spectacular!

Welcome to all my new readers. I appreciate your comments. Congratulations to all the newly engaged couples. Thank you for sifting through this post. I hope you enjoyed this small window inside my week.

Have a great weekend!




(Photo Credit: I found this photo long ago, and I am not sure where I grabbed in from. Apologies. Please let me know if you know the photographer so I can credit this photo properly! Thank you.)

1 comment:

  1. hi tammy! great list, thanks so much. i'm thinking a lot about this in the new year. drinks &/or food soon? looking forward to catching up!

    ReplyDelete