Monday, August 17, 2009

Love Poems and Lyndhurst



I had the pleasure of coordinating an amazing wedding at Lyndhurst in Tarrytown, New York on Saturday. The ceremony was nearby at the stunning Irvington Presbyterian Church. The couple is fantastic and decided to each select a love poem without telling the other what poem they chose. They sent them to me separately and I delivered them to the couple's friend who read them aloud at the ceremony. This personalized touch added a thoughtful and unknown element to the ceremony and cost the couple nothing.

Cocktails were on the serene veranda which overlooked the property's manicured 67 acres. The summer evening was filled with the music of a string trio and dinner was served in the prettiest tent. Paper lanterns in various sizes and shades of violet, lilac and lavender (my favorites!) hung at different heights paired with tall and full floral arrangements in coordinating colors transformed the tent.

David Willems was the photographer, I can't wait to share the details of this day through his images of this very beautiful wedding!

The Brides poem for her Groom was:

Carry Your Heart With Me

By E. E. Cummings

I carry your heart with me (I carry it in
my heart) I am never without it (anywhere
i go you go, my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing, my darling) I fear
no fate (for you are my fate, my sweet) I want
no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

Here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

I carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)


Tomorrow I'll share the Groom's poem for his Bride along with more fun from this wedding. What is your favorite love poem?

1 comment:

  1. Hello Superstar! I'm using this same poem in the Marie Antoinette program I'm designing. I know that E.E. had messed up spacing and weird line breaks, but I'm willing to bet most people don't. I don't want to print the programs and have people think that I didn't proofread it but I also want to keep the author's originality. What say you, oh Bridal Swami Goddess?

    ReplyDelete